Rebecca Bowley, a paralegal in Lincolnshire, cautions against the myth that a career in law is always exciting and intellectually stimulating. A key practical element of the job that isn't covered in most undergraduate degrees is dealing with paperwork, such as filing legal forms. You'll also spend long hours researching cases, so developing that skill as a student is essential.

A good solicitor will be articulate and adept at public speaking. Bowley, who studied her undergraduate degree at Lincoln University and completed her legal practice course (LPC) at De Montfort in Leicester, says self-confidence is vital for any lawyer.

The 31-year-old found joining Lincoln University's law clinic for students and staff helped her hone her presentation skills. She became a firm leader in her third year, helping second-years advise clients and running masterclasses for sixth formers.

Consequently, when she was asked to do a presentation during work experience at a London firm, she felt well-prepared for the task.

"You can't really be shy when you're a solicitor, especially when meeting clients," she says. "The university legal clinic was great practice for that, because it helped me develop interviewing skills, and I have built on that in my LPC."

It's important to throw yourself into as many extra-curricular activities as possible, she says, whether that's joining a debating society or offering pro bono work in your spare time.

When you do finally go into practice, put all your efforts into impressing your new employers, but don't be arrogant about it.

"Keep the secretaries on your side, treat everyone as an equal, and don't think because you've got a law degree that you are somehow better than anyone else. You need to keep a level head," says Bowley.

Thomas Horton graduated last year from the University of Birmingham with a 2:1 and immediately started working for a law firm in London, in their investment properties department.

Nothing, he says, can prepare you for the pressurised environment of working in a legal practice, and graduates will inevitably find themselves thrown in the deep end. Adaptability is the key to whether you sink or swim.

Horton, deputy editor of the Keep Calm Talk Law online law journal, says gaining work experience before you graduate will prepare you for your legal career and give you the edge you need to secure a job in a competitive market.

Now preparing to go to bar school, he says networking with the right people can open doors for you at university and beyond.

"It's a cliche, but it's not just what you know but who know," he says. "I'm the sort of person who could have a conversation with a brick wall, but there are some students who find networking really difficult. I would suggest working on that part of you and grabbing any opportunity to make a contact."

Horton adds: "The effort you have to put in to secure experience is a good way to develop a rigorous work ethic throughout university, which then continues in whatever job you do after."

Ginny Slater, a mature student living in Scotland, found out the importance of work experience the hard way.

She graduated from Stirling University, but despite applying for vacancies within a radius of 100 miles, the mother of two found every door closed simply because she lacked practical experience. After six months of rejection, she took the plunge and set up her own company.

She started small with a few clients on a pro bono basis to get the experience she needed.

However, she explains that because she doesn't have the umbrella of a big company, finding clients is challenging and joining legal societies can be extremely difficult if you are self-employed.

But Slater says the benefits of being self-employed make it worth considering for new graduates struggling to find a job.

"I come home when I want, I'm here for my children, and I can take holidays at the times I choose," she says.

"I would always advocate working for yourself. You don't have to do nine to five, you can tailor a career to your lifestyle. Work shouldn't be a drudgery where you end up at 65, retired and wondering what you did with your life. It should be something you enjoy doing."

Matthew Jenkin
theguardian.com,

المواضيع المتشابهه: